If you’ve always wondered where the gleaming horse drawn carriages and horses are kept for Royal occasions, now is your chance to explore the Royal Mews coach houses and enjoy an afternoon tea for two at the nearby Royal Horseguards Hotel! Located within the grounds of Buckingham Palace, the Royal Mews are a Grade I listed building, which also happen to be working stables themselves. It’s an excellent place to discover just what goes on in one aspect of the smooth running of the Palace itself on special occasions. You’ll marvel at the rows of freshly polished tack hung on the walls and the beautiful Windsor Grey and Cleveland Bay breeds of horses with their soft manes, as the gentle clip-clop of hooves reverberates from the nearby indoor riding arena where the horses take their exercise. You’ll also get a chance to see the Royal Collection’s State Carriages, including the Diamond Jubilee State Coach and the specially gifted Australian State Coach, and see up close the uniforms of the footmen and drivers. These thoroughly detailed and informative exhibitions leave no stone unturned. But of course, the true piece de resistance is the seven tonne, gilded and handcrafted Gold State Coach, which has been used in numerous Coronations and was of course a centrepiece of June 2022’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations for Queen Elizabeth II. After you’re done at the Mews, it’ll be time for you to canter off down The Mall to Embankment, where a table awaits you both at the Royal Horseguards Hotel to enjoy a delicious afternoon tea, with freshly brewed tea and coffee, and scones and sandwiches to tuck into!
Visit one of the finest working stables in the world
The Mews are home to the royal collection of historic coaches and carriages
Opportunity to see the Windsor Greys and Cleveland Bays, the horses that pull the carriages
Allow approximately 1 - 1 ½ hours for your visit to the Royal Mews
Afternoon tea is taken at The Royal Horseguards Hotel a short stroll along the Mall
Under 18s must be accompanied by a participating adult
Not suitable for spectators
Please note this a sample menu which is subject to seasonal changes.
Afternoon Tea Menu
Lemon meringue pie
Gin and lime pebble
Cucumber and cream cheese fingers
Egg mayo and cress fingers
Smoked salmon fingers
Ham and English mustard fingers
Fruit Scone or Plain Scone with strawberry and raspberry jam and Cornish clotted cream
Choice of Tea
Strawberry and Cream (The Royal Horseguards' unique blend)
Maximum Age: 99 years
Maximum Height: 250.00 cm
Maximum Weight: 200.00 kg
The Royal Mews are open 5 days a week Thursday to Monday (closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays)
Royal Horseguards Hotel bookings are not available on Bank Holidays, 19th March, 6th May and 24th - 31st December inclusive
Afternoon tea is served from 13:00 - 16:30
Bookings must be made at least 14 working days in advance and are subject to availability
Please note: opening times and dates are subject to close due at short notice
Once you have booked your date tickets are non-refundable and non-transferable
Our ethos is that your 'experience' should begin from the moment you first browse the site and we can deliver this because of:
- once you buy a voucher you are not then left to book the experience yourself. We handle your booking from A-Z, not only providing online dates but also dealing with the supplier to secure your date. Even after you have had your experience, we will ask you for a review of the event to ensure everything went ok.
- Our core staff have been working in the industry since 2004 and have all the experience necessary to deliver the experience that is perfect for you.
- Each venue and provider has been vetted by us and reviewed by our customers meaning we can give you honest, unbiased advice about what you are ordering.
- We have 3 lines of communication; phone, chat and email and our customer service centre is open 6 days a week. The average answer time for our call centre to answer is 20 seconds and we have a vast help section where you should be able to find any answer online.
- Once you have chosen a date, we will help to ensure that you get the confirmation in time for your event and if need be we will liaise with the supplier on your behalf if there is a problem.
- After each event we invite our customers to review the venue and the provider. This valuable feedback is then used to improve our service and also made public to other customers considering the same event. As a returning customer you will be eligible for a trackdays.co.uk discount code to use on your next purchase.
Royal Mews Entry and Afternoon Tea for Two Near Me
Pay in 3 interest-free payments
Split your purchase of £118.00 into 3 with no sign-up fees or late fees.
£23.00 , Today
£23.00 , 1 month
£23.00 , 2 months
Choose PayPal at checkout to pay later with Pay in 3.
Complete your purchase with the first payment today.
Remaining payments are taken automatically.
Available for purchases of £30 to £2,000. Pay in 3 eligibility is subject to status and approval. 18+ UK residents only. Pay in 3 is a form of credit, may not be suitable for everyone. Use may affect your credit score or make credit less accessible or more expensive for you. Consider if affordable for you. Terms and conditions apply. PayPal Pay in 3 is a trading name of PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. et Cie, S.C.A. 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg.